The Crops Production Division in the Department of Statistics (DoS) implements a number of agricultural surveys annually. These surveys cover various crops production sectors. The following are the overall aims of these surveys:
- Estimating the cultivated area.
- Estimating the production of various field crops, fruit trees and vegetables by crop type and the agricultural planting period.
- Estimating the total number of fruit trees by fruit type.
- Estimating the size of agricultural labor force by type, sex, nationality and age group.
The agricultural sector is considered one of the most important economic activities that contribute to employing large numbers of the labor force. This agricultural labour includes the agricultural holders and their household members who depend on the financial return of this sector for their livelihood in addition to the basic products of this sector for the consumption of citizens.
The Department of Statistics (DoS) has carried out different agricultural surveys that included the crops activity. Several field rounds were conducted for collecting data on the area cultivated with winter and summer crops and their production. The surveys have provided data on the agricultural employment in terms of labour size and its distribution by type, sex, nationality, age group and other data used by decision makers and data users.
2 -1: Survey Objectives
- Estimating the cultivated area and production of field crops, fruit trees and vegetables by type of crop and planting period.
- Estimating the total number of fruit trees by crop type.
- Estimating the size of agricultural labor by type, sex, nationality and age group.
- Estimating the contribution of agricultural activity to Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
- Total cultivated area.
- Change percentage of irrigated and rain-fed area of total cultivated area.
- Change percentage in the area of annual fruit trees.
- Change percentage in the area of annual field crops.
- Change percentage in the area of annual vegetable crops.
– Agricultural Statistics Bulletin: released in July every year.
– Surveys Bulletin of the National Strategy for Agricultural Development (NSDS): released in July every year.