National Statistical Strategy 2018-2022
The General concept of National Statistical Strategy
National Statistical Strategy of any country seeks to develop and raise the statistical abilities by using an integrated national statistical system for this country, as it provides a vision of 5 years ahead about the state of national statistical system, and defines the milestones that help to reach the goals. This strategy presents a standard comprehensive framework for continuous evaluation of emerging needs and data users’ priorities, and building the required capacities to meet these priorities in a more coordinated, efficient and collaborated method.
On the other side, this strategy provides a framework to fill, use and activate the national and international recourses, and lay effectively the foundation of strategic management of the national statistical system to achieve the required outcome.
The National Statistical System
The National Statistical System of any country is a group of statistical data producers and users.
General Principles of National Statistical Strategy
The National Statistical System is based on building the confidence in official statistics to be set as a guidance and basis in decision-making and policy- making that means that all stages of statistical work should be aligned with achieving this goal starting from confirming work programs through collecting and analyzing data and ending with launching results.
The National Statistical System should be described as the following:
1. covering the whole National Statistical System.
2. includes participatory method and encourages the contribution of the partners.
3. takes what exists in consideration and adapting it in accordance with the real situation in the country.
- facilitates the complicated conditions by establishing it in stages.
5. should be approved by the department’s consultative committee after each stage.
6. should be run by the country and considered as a national belonging.
The reasons for the preparation of a new national strategy for statistics for the years (2018-2022)
National Statistical Strategy Goals (The second phase 2018-2022)
Producing statistical data that meet national developmental usage, administrative records and SDGs indicators.
Enhancing the developmental and leadership role of (DOS (in improving the statistical system.
Improving the statistical and technological methods that are utilized in producing, disseminating and using statistical data.
Composition of the strategy technical committee
Strategy Technical Committee is composed of experts from DOS and the main partners from Ministry of Planning and International Cooperation, Ministry of Finance, Jordan Central Bank, Jordan Civil Status and Passport Department and Ministry of Labor. This committee is set to create a statistical strategy aligned with Jordan 2025, implementation plan of the government and the Executive Development Program of 2016-2018. The missions of this committee are the following:
- Suggesting a roadmap and submit it to the steering committee for approval.
- Specifying the statistical sectors that will be covered by the Strategy.
- Evaluating data quality that is available in sectors.
- Assessing the current situation and identify the weakness and strength points, opportunities and threats that encounters DOS.
- Suggesting a vision and a mission for DOS and submit it to the steering committee for approval.
- Formulating institutional goals aligned with national strategic goals.
- Formulating goals and targets to achieve the suggested vision.
- Support, review and coordinate sectoral plans in accordance with agreed criteria and ensure that duplication of efforts is not duplicated.
- Set up a Strategy according to the agreed international standards and carrying out the best international practices in this field.
The composition of Sectorial Statistical Committees that consist of 10 main sectors of experts, from both the department and the Partners’ side.
The missions of the Sectorial committee are:
- Looking through the evaluation’s results of the previous strategy and identify the weakness and strength points, opportunities and threats.
- Suggesting a vision for each statistical sector to be approved by the sectorial committee.
- Clarifying the goals to reach the required vision and submitting it to the concerned sector for approval.
- Giving the priority for each sectorial plan in statistics during the implementation period.
- Defining the main sections in the sector that currently collect statistical data.
- Conducting an official inventory for data systems that are used by partners in the sector.
- Specifying the collected data, the utilized methods and procedures as for their quality and comprehensiveness.
- Identifying the data that are mainly needed to meet the requirements of the sectoral policies, Jordan 2025 and accomplishing the international and regional goals.
- Defining and addressing the statistical gaps and priorities according to the sectorial policies, the international and national goals.
- Attending the consultative meetings to standardize data and information that are collected from sectors and institutes.
- Working closely with consultants and the strategic technical committee on strategic activities according to the work plan, to analyze data for partners, identifying the weakness and strength points of the statistical units in institutes as is the department, improving the vision’s slogans, mission and values related to statistical section in the sector and improving sectorial statistical plans.
- Improving strategic procedures: Human Resources Development, improving the infrastructure of the information system, improving data management, monitoring and evaluating reports and improving the budgeting in the sector.
- Presenting the plan on a sectorial level to obtain consistency and preparing a final report to submit it to the higher committee.