The Construction Statistics Division is one of the divisions of the Directorate of Economic Surveys. It supervises the implementation of surveys and statistical activities of the construction sector. The annual survey of contractors, the complementary survey of buildings, and the census of building licenses in the Kingdom are considered the most important of these surveys.
The Division provides detailed data on the construction sector mainly to the National Accounts Directorate to extract indicators and main results of this sector. It also provides data to all interested parties in this sector (planners, researchers and policy makers).
The Department of Statistics (DoS) carries out a comprehensive listing of all construction licenses issued by the official licensing parties on a monthly basis in the Kingdom and publishes the results monthly, quarterly and annually. This Census provides data on the number of construction licenses and licensed areas in the Kingdom periodically as well as data on the occupancy purposes of licensed buildings (residential, non-residential).
The enumerators visit all licensing parties every month in the Kingdom and the (DoS) provides the results to data users monthly, quarterly and annually.
The licensing parties are:
- Greater Amman Municipality’s regions numbering 27.
- Municipalities: All municipalities distributed all over the Kingdom’s governorates numbering 94.
- Joint district committees: They issue licenses outside the boundaries of organized regions in the municipalities.
- Special zones: such as the Petra Region Authority and the Aqaba Special Economic Zone Authority (ASEZA).
- Number of granted construction licenses.
- Total licensed areas by building occupancy.
- Number of new licensed housing units.
The press release is published monthly as of the thirteenth day of each month.