The Department of Statistics (DoS) carries out a comprehensive listing of all construction licenses issued by the official licensing parties on a monthly basis in the Kingdom and publishes the results monthly, quarterly and annually. This Census provides data on the number of construction licenses and licensed areas in the Kingdom periodically as well as data on the occupancy purposes of licensed buildings (residential, non-residential).
This is a monthly survey where all new licenses issued by concerned authorities during the specified periodare obtained.
The Building Licenses Census Questionnaire
The questionnaires include the following main topics
- Area, ownership, and type of use of the building.
- Building site.
- Introductory information on the targeted parcel
The Dos collected all building’s new licenses from concerned licensing authorities in the Kingdom, such as Greater Amman Municipality, other municipalities, local authorities or
District committees through personal visits and completing the forms of licensed buildings from available records.
Definitions and Classifications
Statistical Unit: it is the building license issued by the municipality or any other concerned institution.
Building Status: The status of the building to be licensed could be a new one, an addition to an existing building, or an existing building not previously licensed.
Building Occupancy Status: The building is considered as residential if more than half of its area was intended for habitation, or non-residential if more than half of its area was not intended for residential purposes, or it might be a fence.
Building Ownership: The ownership may be one of the following cases
- Governmental Owned by the central government, public institutions, or local authorities.
- Private Owned by individuals or private sector.
- Cooperative Owned by cooperative associations.
- Other Owned by foreign bodies, professional syndicates, religion groups, and the like.
Building Material: The dominant material that forms more than half of the area of outer walls of the building. It might be cut stone, bricks, or concrete. Finishing materials, such as paint are excluded
- Number of granted construction licenses.
- Total licensed areas by building occupancy.
- Number of new licensed housing units.
The press release is published monthly as of the thirteenth day of each month.