The Department of Statistics (DoS) implements the agricultural surveys related to the National Strategy for Agricultural Development (NSAD) 2002 – 2010 which covers the Crops Production as well as the Livestock Production sectors. The document of the National Strategy for Agricultural Development (NSAD) 2002 – 2010 has stated that the Department of Statistics (DoS) is the official and sole authority to issue the agricultural statistical figures and also referred to some of the problems in the agricultural sector such as; non-availability of agricultural statistics on some areas and lack of coordination among the large number of the agricultural statistics producers. Accordingly, the document of the (NSAD) 2002 – 2010 has recommended to restrict the subject of issuing the agricultural statistical figure to the Department of Statistics (DoS) and to coordinate between the statistical data producers in order to assist in planning and policy – making for the agricultural sector.
A “Permanent Agricultural Statistics Experts Committee” has been formed in order to implement these recommendations and to provide reliable and accurate agricultural statistics and information. This Committee has representatives from the Department of Statistics (DoS), Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Water and Irrigation, Ministry of Municipal Affairs, Department of Lands and Survey in addition to three (3) expert members representing data users and agricultural statistics producers in the public and private sectors. The tasks of the committee include identifying the required data and information deemed necessary to develop policies and strategies for the agricultural sector and to review the data collection methodology (including sample design, questionnaires, data collecting parties / institutions by competence and finally to review the statistical data prior to publication).
Olive Presses Survey
The Department of Statistics (DoS) decided to cover all the olive presses through field visits in the production season annually due to their small number on the one hand and their economic, social and environmental importance on the other in order to achieve the objective of this survey.
Agricultural Nurseries’ Survey
All agricultural nurseries are surveyed annually through a field visit in the production season to achieve the objective of this survey.
Fish farms are fully surveyed annually through a field visit to all fish and aquaculture farms in the Gulf of Aqaba to produce the required data that meet the survey objectives.
Bee Hives’ Survey
The frame of the agricultural holders was divided into six categories according to the number of hives. Then, a sample of 15% of the total size of the holdings from the first category to the fourth category was withdrawn using the “Random Sampling Method”.
• Calculating the quantity of olives used in olive oil production during the agricultural season.
• Calculating the quantity of olive oil produced in the Kingdom during the agricultural season.
• Calculating the amount of olives pressing wastes (e.g., olive cake and disposable liquid).
• Estimating the number of different seedlings produced in agricultural nurseries during the agricultural season.
• Providing accurate and comprehensive data on the characteristics of the bee industry and related technicalities.
• Estimating the quantity and production value of bee colonies.
• Estimating the quantity and production value of fish.
• Calculating the quantity and value of various production inputs for bees and fish sectors.
• Calculating the employment size and distribution by duration of work, sex and nationality and calculating the employees’ returns in the bee and fish sectors.
• Calculating the fixed assets and investments in the bee and fish sectors.
• Number of bee colonies.
• Honey production.
• Value of production inputs for the beekeeping sector.
• Value of production inputs for the Fishing.
• Value of production inputs for the Fish Farms.